I'm back

No the cancer is not back, but I am.

Had you for a second there didn't I?

I'm very pleased to be working with both Colon Cancer Canada and the Canadian Cancer Society this year, and I'm here to let you know that March is Colon Cancer Awareness month. And since I am so fortunate to call so many of you friends, I'm also here to remind you that like me, you are probably about 50 this year, and that means it's time for you to get screened.

It will be a major mission in the rest of my life to beat the drum about awareness, prevention and screening of colon cancer, because I don't want what happened to me to happen to you.

As they say at the Canadian Cancer Society, make your bottom your top priority!

Colon cancer is the number two cancer killer, yet it is 90% treatable when caught early.

Getting checked can help find colon cancer early, or even prevent it from happening before it starts. This is why it is so important to check for the disease before you have symptoms. In 2012, an estimated 8,700 Ontarians were diagnosed with colon cancer and approximately 3,450 people died from the disease. 


Make your bottom your top priority. Talk to your doctor about getting checked for colon cancer every two years, once you turn 50.


Getting checked for colon cancer could be as easy as taking an at-home stool test (also known as the fecal occult blood test – FOBT).   


If you’re at high risk for colon cancer, talk to your doctor about other colon cancer screening options.

High-risk individuals include those with a first-degree relative (parent, sibling or child) with colon cancer and other factors such as inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease). Visit stickittocoloncancer.ca for a list of some of the risk factors.


Get the bottom line about colon cancer at stickittocoloncancer.ca. Download a tip sheet with questions to ask your doctor or send a free e-card to friends and family to remind them to get checked for colon cancer.


Spread the word with your family and friends about the importance of getting checked for colon cancer. 


Talk to you again in the Spring when I'll be hitting you up for a donation to my 'Push For Your Tush' walk!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for raising awareness, Paul! It's important to drive the message that screening saves lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post on important topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the reason I got the full Colonoscopy this winter. Found four polyps and they nipped them in the butt. (see what I did there?) Stay well, my friend.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally enjoyed your writing! Made me laugh many times, and crings a few times. I am totally with you on wanting all of the informations when it comes to drugs I am given and treatments and operations. Best of health and happiness to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for your kind words. All the best...

      Delete
  5. Great post and thanks a lot for the information and spreading awareness about Colon Cancer screening. Yes, I totally agree with you that people should get themselves screened for Colon Cancer especially those having high risks of developing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and thanks for your comments

      Delete